Monday, October 26, 2009

Cultural Activity

The Adult and Continuing Education Office hosted a Cultural Activity today, and my music students were invited to participate. Tomorrow marks St. Vincent's 30th year of Independence, so many organizations around the island are holding events like this one, with cultural songs, dramas and poetry. My students opened the event with rousing renditions of "Hot Cross Buns," "Mary Had a Little Lamb," and "Ode to Joy." I know, those are the same songs they learned this summer, but we haven't really had much time to add to their repertoire. In class they are learning "Jingle Bells," but it's not quite up to par yet and I thought October was a bit early to start with the Christmas tunes, in spite of what Macy's may lead you to believe. At the Cultural Activity, we also heard many poems and songs, including "St. Vincent, I Love You," a personal favorite of mine. Click on the link below to listen!

http://www.imeem.com/people/-t8Eq9/music/kbCJgmwa/alston-becket-cyrus-st-vincent-i-love-you/

On a side note, I ran my second 5K yesterday. This time it was on the road - no dodging cow poo! - but in a really hilly area, so it was extremely difficult. I ran with a girl from my area and another PCV from the Leeward side of the island. We are all proud to have finished, but I am definately going to have to up my training if I expect to run a 10K in December!

2 comments:

Karen L Richardson said...

thought i'd share this with you! I hope you've been enjoying the Independence Celerations!

have a great day!

Karen L Richardson said...

oops forgot the link!

Eye Unit: Happy Independence SVG - Vibrating Scakes - Our Nation is Born http://ff.im/-aAywc