Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Staging

Hello again! We get free wireless internet in our very posh hotel, so I can write all about my staging experiences.
Yesterday, we had about 6 hours of "training" (not our real training, but the training for our real training). We met everyone in the group (about 38?) and did some ice-breakers, which were fun. I also met my roommate, Kelly, who is really nice, but not going to my island, so we only have a few days to hang-out. :( I did meet all the people going to St. Vincent and they are all so cool! We are going to have such a good time together. Last night, a bunch of us went to dinner at a Cuban restaurant called Versailles. The food was delicious, but it took us 40 minutes to walk there (instead of the nice 20-minute stroll they told us it would be!), so we took a cab back! Then, a few of us played a game called Cribbage back at the hotel, which I am pretty terrible at, so thanks to my partner for continuing to play with me.
Today was a pretty long day. We went from 8:30 - 5:30, with about an hour for lunch and one 5 minute restroom break! We learned a lot about what to expect in the next few days and then once we get to our site. The staging directors really like using large sheets of paper to write/draw our feelings on, which creates kind of a Kindergarten atmosphere, only without the nap! We also did a fun exercise in which we went over the Peace Corps expectation using singing and interpretive dance. Pretty awesome. Tonight, we have to re-pack and inventory our stuff (just in case) and prepare for our 6 am (oh, that's right) check-out tomorrow morning. Hopefully the wake-up-call we order actually happens, because this morning, it definately didn't.
I think we are all a bit scared and really anxious to depart. We can't believe that after nearly a year in preparation, this is actually happening. I won't be able to write for maybe a couple of days, but I will try to update as soon as I get "settled" in St. Lucia (for 3 days...).

No comments: