Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to School

The Christmas vacation officially ended on Friday and today was our first day back at school. I'm glad to be back in a schedule, but I was just starting to get good at doing nothing all day, so I'm kind of mixed. Today was pretty uneventful for me, because it was a teacher planning day - this roughly translates into 'last minute scramble to get grades in/complain about how the break wasn't long enough.' I don't assign grades and there is only so much complaining I can do, so I left at lunch. This week will probably be spent weaning the students off their holiday sugar/tv rush, which will be a nice, slow transition for teachers too. I am excited about this semester - I'm going to try to spread out a bit in the community and get some really interesting projects going. I'll post more when I get a little more settled into to a schedule.
Now to backtrack a bit - in between Christmas and New Year's, I visited one of the Vincentian waterfalls with some friends. The waterfall is called Dark View Falls and is located in Chateau-Belair, a community on the north-Leeward side of the island. Another volunteer's sister and brother-in-law were visiting and we drove in their rental car (which, hands down, beats a van) to the waterfall. It was about 1 1/2 drive, once we left Mespo. The waterfall is amazing! We had to walk across a bridge made entirely of bamboo and then a bamboo forest to get to it. There are actually 3 parts - lower, middle and upper. We were able to get to the lower falls and the middle falls, but to get to the upper falls, you have to climb part of a mountain using vines, and as we are neither skilled climbers nor goats, we passed (I say goats, because the goats here really seem to enjoy climbing things - if you have one in your yard, you can be sure that it will find the highest rock and stand on it). Actually, I thought the climb to the middle falls was a bit precarious, but everyone else deemed it safe, so we went. I have posted pictures of the falls - they really are breathtaking.
I spent New Year's in Bequia. It was a really nice time - they put on an awesome fireworks show (or so I thought - they say it was 100 times better last year). We really enjoyed our last days of freedom, since most of us returned to work today. I have a few pictures - I will probably add them to the existing Bequia album. I added one picture of a bolley tree - notice the large, round, green fruit. People cut these in half and hollow them out, then carve or paint designs on each half and use them as bowls. They look really cool when finished, I'll try to take a picture of one.
I hate to end on a sad note, but something ate my little pepper - I suspect chickens.

No comments: