Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bequia Wedding

The wedding in Bequia was a beautiful experience. One of the PCVs was the acting priest and the bride and her bridesmaids wore bathing suits and sarongs while the groom and his groomsmen wore bathing suits and ties. We had it right on this beautiful, nearly deserted beach. The bride and groom have been officially married for two years yesterday, but it was nice that they finally were able to have a ceremony. I'm posting pictures.
The only negative about this weekend was that it rained a lot. It's been raining on and off all day since Thursday, with no end in sight. What this means is that I get really wet walking to work and half the students don't even show up. Which is really unfortunate, because this is the last official week of classes. The students start exams next Monday and this week is their opportunity to review the semester's materials. Once exams begin, the students don't keep regular school hours - they only go during their exam blocks. This will be nice for me, because I'll get a chance to work on some lesson plans and activities for next semester. Plus, I'll get an opportunity to catalogue our reading room books - then, next semester, we can build a library system and allow the students to take books home. I'm not sure if they will, but it will still be exciting that they CAN.
Next Thursday, we're joining the Taiwanese Embassy for a Thanksgiving feast. The Taiwanese are preparing traditional Taiwanese foods and we are each preparing a traditional Thanksgiving food. I'm making an apple pie, which is quite American and hopefully very delicious. Tomorrow, I'm going to town to hunt for butter for my pie, which, like all dairy products, is rare on St. Vincent and expensive. Hopefully I'm able to find it at the 'imported-foods' grocery store.

No comments: