Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Training Update

We are now in our final week-and-a-half of training and we're all pretty anxious to push through. Most of us will move into our houses in exactly 11 days (not that we're counting...), although a few people have to remain at home stay for a couple of weeks more due to housing issues. We are all grateful for the integration opportunities presented to us during training and homestay, but the days tend to drag on and mix together into an endless blur of flip charts and white-boards. At this point, we are ready to begin our lives as PCVs in the EC and to face our real challenges.
Last night, I went to the movies with some colleagues/friends from the high school I work at. It was really exciting to see a movie and to spend some time with this group outside of work. We saw "Pineapple Express," which was hilarious! We were also the only 5 people in the theater, so we could laugh as loudly and talk as much as we wanted (and we wanted). After the movie, we went to a local arcade, where we raced video game cars. Obviously, I won - I told them that it was in my genes because I have an uncle who is a race car driver. I'm lucky that many of the people I work with are young - we seem to have a lot in common and we are able to work as a collective team, with no person taking too dominant a role. I can definately say that EHS has a great staff!
Last Saturday, I went to the beach for recreation! It was amazing. The place we went was called a salt pond, although I'm not sure it was a true salt pond, because it was connected to the ocean. It was separated from the Atlantic Ocean by some rocks, so the water was very calm and very warm. We went with a group from my church and we swam and ate delicious food for hours! I'm posting pictures so you can all see SVG's beautiful beaches! I hope that we can go back there again...it's supposed to rain all weekend, but maybe once we're sworn in, we'll get some relief!

1 comment:

Marra Alane said...

The fact that you get Judd Apatow movies when you are in the peace corps makes me feel like you're not really in the peace corps. You're just hanging out, watching stoner movies and playing video games! That's all I do!