Thursday, September 4, 2008

Job-Site Visit

First thing's first. Riding the bus is SCARY! Each bus has a name, and though I learned early on to avoid the buses with names like "Slidin' off a cliff" and "Runs into your house," it's the more subtle ones like "SlimShady" that can sometimes throw you off. In any instance, "SlimShady" is not an experience I want to re-live; thus is the value of a 'street' education.
Today, I visited the high school that I will be working at for the next two years. Everyone I met on staff seems really nice and helpful. The teacher that I will actually be working with (my IPP...I don't remember what that stands for, but I think by now, you must all be noticing the trend. Peace Corps loves to abbreviate terms.) was extremely helpful today. She explained how the school system works and some of the major issues that they are having problems with. She also seems really eager to hear my suggestions. I think that the Peace Corps told our sites that we would be experienced and insightful. I hope I can live up to that praise.
My IPP brought me into her classrooms for a short while today. She teaches remedial literacy, and that is what I will be helping her with for the next 2 years. The children were nice, though loud (there are 40 kids in each class!), and they were confused about the spelling of my last name, so they call me Miss Kim. I will probably be working one-on-one or in small groups with the kids, which I think will really facilitate a better learning experience. Hopefully I will pick up on some teaching methods during my once-weekly internship at Emmanuel. I won't officially start working there until October.
I also spoke with the director of the adult education center in Mespo. He seems really excited to work with me - I think the previous volunteer worked with him. We are supposed to meet next week to discuss project ideas. I really want to target a program to out-of-school youth between the ages of 15 and 20. Early drop-out is an issue in SVG, so I really want to make this one of my primary issues.
It is still hot Hot HOT, but I think the peak of the rainy season is soon, so hopefully we get some relief (plus, I could finally don my bright yellow rainboots). I've also heard gossip (or, in dialect, comess) that in the winter, the temperature sometimes drops into the 60s, so I'm really looking forward to that.

2 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma said...

Hi Shelby,

We are so glad you are doing a blog. We look forward to it. This is a great way to keep everyone posted as to what is going on with you.

How are the mosquitoes? We do hope you are finding ways to combat them.

Your school sounds neat. You are so good with young people that you will be perfect for the job.

We checked your area out on the internet. Looks beautiful. What a fabulous location.

Our love to you.

Natasha said...

Shelby! You are now making me appreciate the beauty of blogs. It's so good to read your blog and see what you've been up to in the last few weeks!
I'm really happy for you-- I'm glad you like your site and your job for the next 2 years! I may have to visit to see it for myself (though judging from your description, I may just come in the winter when it's a bit more pleasant).
So when do you move out of your "luxurious home?" When does winter start there?

Oh, I almost forgot! I just got back from Zim 2 days ago! It was an amazing experience- though I didn't get to see a lot of Zimbabwe (I was confined to the boundaries of my hotel for 3 days), I got to know 40 medical students from Africa. Because of their political and economic situation, their day-to-day lives are tragic yet inspirational. I definitely want to continue my relationship with them.

Anyhow, it's good to see how you've been and I'll write again soon!